Ondo APC alleges plot by Gov Mimiko to divert N150bn State funds
Allegations of plans to divert N150bn State funds by Governor Olusegun Mimiko is threatening the smooth transition of power to the in-coming All Progressives Congress (APC) administration of Olu Akeredolu.
The hand-over of power is billed for February 24, 2016 but there was palpable tension in Akure, Ondo State capital, on Saturday when the APC alleged that the out-going governor and his team were making moves to corner some N1.5bn and divert same to some undefined projects.
A statement authored by Abayomi Adesanya, Ondo APC secretary said, “It has come to our knowledge, on good authority, that Ondo State Government, two days ago, specifically Jan. 4, 2017, took receipt of the N1.2 billion physical cash being amount deposited into the account of the Multilateral Relation Department of the Governor’s Office as accumulated grants from foreign donors.
“Confirmed information also show that another sum of N385m was credited into the account of the Wealth Creation Agency of Ondo State.”
It added, “To perfect this plan, arrangement had been made to transfer the N1.2bn to WECA which has been designated as exit point for the monies.
“Already, high level civil servants in the two departments have been mobilised to begin processing of phony contracts award papers to perfect the looting spree of the total sum of N1.585bn.”
The statement described the alleged plot as “heinous crime” and said it was holding the incumbent governor, Olusegun Mimiko, for any mismanagement of the State’s resources.
“We also wish to point out to the Governor that all accusing fingers are pointing at him considering the fact that the two agencies are directly under his supervision.
“And now that this massive looting plan has been uncovered, civil servants, particularly the relevant officers at WECA and Multilateral offices are seriously warned not to cooperate with the outgoing Mimiko administration to defraud Ondo State,” the statement noted.
Providing an inkling of its readiness to investigate Mimiko’s administration, if need be, Ondo APC said, “Gov. Mimiko, his political appointees as well as civil servants should be put on notice that already the incoming government of our party is in possession of past, current and daily records of financial misdeeds of high elements of the outgoing government.’’
Mimiko’s Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr Kayode Akinmade, has, however, debunked the claims by the APC in Ondo, describing the allegations as “frivolous and a falsehood.”
“The allegation is frivolous and falsehood and I challenge the party to provide facts on this allegation.
“APC will take over government in Ondo State on Feb. 24, they should wait till then. As at now, Dr Olusegun Mimiko is the governor of Ondo State and he has the right to take decision(s) about the state,” he said.